Here is a rundown of what was discussed on the live cast Q&A (links to both are at the bottom of the page)
What is a Primaris Space Marine?
- New generation of Space Marine
- Bigger, more powerful
- More focused in their battlefield role “Very, very, specific” – in regards to their roles
- there will be other types in the future, though each type will still be specialized
Indomitus Crusade pt.1
- Tells about what Guiliman has been up to
- Banded together parts of the Imperium
- Created new Primaris Marines
- New founding of Primaris Marines
- Ultima Founding – Entire Chapters of just Primaris Marines
- All marines gifted with Primaris Tech to use their own gene seed
- Not all test tube babies, can be made from recruits
- Existing Marines can be upgraded to Primaris
- Add them as you like to your existing army
What is Mk. X and what about Mk. IX?
- New class of armor, not just for one troop type (alluded to different abilities)
- What happened to IX–who knows? It’s a mys!
Second part of the discussion on the Indomitus Crusade
- Guilliman travels to give Primaris Marine tech to all Loyalist Chapters
- Fighting vs Chaos
- War on all fronts, including Xenos threats
- He’s trying to help where he can – but the Galaxy is kind of on fire
Creating the new rules
- How long has it taken to develop 8th? At least 18 months – probably longer
- Lots of testing, lots of background changes
- Improving Three Ways to Play
- Specialized more for each
- take feedback and improve each version of 3 ways to play–match play, narrative, and open
- Continue to playtest the rules
- update rules for match play, narrative, and open as and when needed
Army competitiveness/parity at competitive level?
- Lots of playtesting and future playtesting
- Not afraid to make changes in the future
- And react to feedback quickly
- There working on ways to get feed back in the future
- Currently it’s just Facebook/events/in person
- Later they will have a new “forum-esq” site
How many people in the Imperium know about Guilliman’s return?
- Not many regular Imperial Joes know about him.
- Think about it – Not everyone knows about Space Marines
- If one shows up on your planet? It’s not good.
- Who knows about Guilliman? Upper echelons of Military Orders, High Lords, Chapter Masters etc, that’s about it
Primaris Marines — all From Mars?
- Primaris Marines – first batch is from Mars
- Eventually all Chapters will be able to make their own – Guilliman is gifting the tech to chapters so they can create their own
Melee vs Combat?
- Close combat is much more devastating
- Surrounded units CAN’T Fall Back
- Units are a lot quicker
- Sweeping advance – consolidate from one combat to the next – remember doing that with Genestealers once 😀
- Combat happens twice per game turn vs shooting’s once per game turn
How will “Initiative weapons” work?
- Lash Whips = Combat Interrupt. Not the only weapon, but it’s an example
- Power Fists will be -1 to hit! But if it hits, it hits hard.
- Unwieldy could be minus to hit
- Other factors other than initative to influence who hits when
- Basically, if a weapon had a rule that impacted the way it worked on the initiative step, GW has tweaked those weapons via other modifiers besides “initiative”
Selecting Psychic Power – pick them or roll?
- Match play – you can choose or roll
- Open / Narrative play – optional
- YOU get to choose: Random or pick
Perils of the Warp – still a threat?
- Yes – but no major details
- Force Org. detachment for pretty much every army. Even an army entirely made of Elites – there is probably a force org chart for that
How will you tailor your army?
- More access to command points, stratagems, army specific rules
- You tailor based on Keywords
Specific Army Rules – this one was unscripted so it’s very general concepts
- these are just a couple of examples
- Imperial Fist – Better vs. Defending/fortifications
- White Scars – Hit and Run
Battle Forge Army. Each Unit/Detachment must share one keyword, Examples:
- Imperium – limit stratagems to just generic “Imperium”
- Space Marine – Gain access to Space Marine Stratagems on top of the Imperium Stratagems
- Chapter – Specific Chapter Strategems on top of the others
- The more specific the key word the -deeper- you can go with the Stratagems
Characters in transports
- Based on transport capacity, not number of units
- Characters can hitch a ride with a unit
- You could fit 2×5 man units in 10 capacity transports
- If a transport has a capacity of 12, you could fit a 10 man squad + 2 other characters for a total of 12
Command Squads have rules to help protect characters
- Tyrant Guard example
- Command Squad example
- Lookout, Sir! type rules
Rules for Drop Pods
- 9″ Away from enemies
- Units deploying from the Drop Pod at least 9″ away from enemy
New vs Old weapon changes
- Weapons have been rebalanced
- Grav weapons shouldn’t be the auto-include that they are now
Combos for competitive play?
- Yes, with Keyword Mechanic it’s still a thing
- Combine Keyword combos and Psychic Powers – competitive players can still build power lists
Explosive weapons without templates?
- They still hit pretty hard
- Battle Cannons seemed to work just fine for Pete
- Work pretty much the same
- Saves are an “instead of” roll vs an “in addition too”
“Power from Pain” happens -after- damage roll
- Come back on a 6
- You still take the damage, so it’s a lot like an additional save
Large Creatures – will they get to Smash?
- Yes! Good save, Bit faster, and smashy
- Large Creatures will work!
- Defenders choice
- No longer directional
- Defending player chooses where the wounds go
Can I play an entire army of Dreadnoughts?
Legion Strength – Will The Codex get redacted/replaced?
- Well, -the chap who wrote it is back- and it did not go well in 10,000 years, so we’ll find out!
Primaris Marines and Chaos influence
- They’ve been designed to resist, but we’ll wait and see
Tactical vs Primaris Marines
- You should take both – they serve different roles
- Tactical marines are more flexible, Primaris Marines are there for specific battlefield roles
- You’ll see this repeated thought the Primaris types vs -regular- Space Marine roles
- Mix of old and new. “The intention of those powers” will be kept for new and old powers
- Example: Mindwar – it’s a classic power, but it might be tweaked slightly for new edition
How will you collect feedback?
- Now – Facebook, events, Twitch
- Later – Working on a new site for feedback
- Forum-ish site with upvotes/downvotes – Hot or Not?
GW and Tournaments
- Yes, working with and talking with them. Giving advice and more interaction with T. O.
Terminators, will they feel like Terminators on the battlefield?
Will you continue playtesting 8th after the release?
- Yes, even after the release.
- Possibly, they mentioned a ‘cowled’ one, could be Mortarion?